Well friends, here it is!
I’m very proud to present to you pictures of my finished project. I mentioned the Madagascar cake in my last post, but I didn’t have much chance to upload the pictures of the cake until now. (Unfortunately, being a college student means I’ve got this unfortunate thing to deal with called exams…)
The cake as a whole probably took…I don’t know. A long time. I started work on the fondant/gumpaste sculptures the weekend before the cake was needed for the birthday party so that they would dry out in time. Of course, then I also got lazy and took a couple of days off before finishing the rest of the sculptures. But work resumed on Tuesday and I dropped the cake off on Friday. So between those days, most of the work was done. If any of you are ever in a situation where you’re making a cake that has tons of green leaves and other such things, I definitely and absolutely recommend that you buy cookie/fondant cutters that are in the shapes of leaves (Hobby Lobby and other craft stores sell them – I found a three pack that had a really small leaf and a really big leaf for like $2.50) and an imprint pad. Wilton makes these handy things for gumpaste flowers and stuff that let you press the veins into a leaf in one swift motion. It’s much, much easier than trying to vein a leaf by hand and it makes the leaf look much more real.
This is the first cake that I’ve completed based on my own design (I actually sat down and drew one out! I was very proud of my ambition 😉 ) and it almost looked like my design! There were a couple of things I ended up having to leave off just because I didn’t have time to make them out of gumpaste and have them dry (and I also didn’t have enough space on the cake. I definitely had too grand of plans when I initially decided what I was going to do.)